Junior Police Academy Application


Mission Statement

Our mission as a police department is to protect and serve our community with integrity, professionalism, and dedication. We strive to build strong relationships with the people we serve and to maintain a safe and secure environment for all residents and visitors. We are committed to upholding the law, promoting justice, and ensuring the rights of all individuals are respected. We will work tirelessly to prevent crime, investigate criminal activity, and bring those who violate the law to justice. Our goal is to be a trusted and respected partner in our community, and we will continue to work towards achieving this through transparency, accountability, and community engagement.

New Parking Enforcement Initiative

On the recommendation of the Hasbrouck Heights Police Department, the Mayor and Council are moving forward with a new parking enforcement initiative to curb illegal parking along our Boulevard.

Due to the increase in traffic on the Boulevard corridor, the violations of illegal parking have significantly increased (blocking intersections, double-parking, etc.).  To mitigate the risks this behavior presents to our residents, the Hasbrouck Heights Police Department Traffic Bureau has been researching possible solutions to increase the safety at intersections caused by these illegally parked vehicles and have recommended the implementation of Municipal Parking Services (MPS) Safety Sticks.

This recommendation included installing 10 Safety Sticks along the Boulevard, protecting no-parking areas and crosswalks.  The way it works is simple, if any vehicle parks or idles in a zone where the Safety Stick is located, for more than 30 seconds, a picture will be taken of the license plate, captured in a database that only our HHPD has access to and a ticket will be released by the HHPD the following am.                  

The Safety Sticks are installed and will be active beginning this Saturday, 4/28. 

The Mayor and Council would like to thank Chief Joe Rinke and Lt. Robertson for identifying a solution that will make the Boulevard a safer place for our residents and mitigate the risks associated with dangerous parking behaviors. 

Should you have any questions, please call Borough Hall at 201-288-0195.

  • Records Bureau

    Phone: (201) 288-6020
    The Records Bureau for the Hasbrouck Heights Police Department is responsible for maintaining and updating all police records, including incident reports, arrest records, and other official documents. The bureau ensures the accuracy and completeness of these records, while also providing public access to certain information in accordance with state and federal laws. To request a copy of a report contact records@hhpd.com

  • Patrol Division

    The officers of the Patrol Division are well-trained, highly skilled, and equipped with the necessary tools and resources to effectively handle a wide range of law enforcement responsibilities. They patrol the streets, diligently monitoring for any signs of criminal activity, traffic violations, or public disturbances. With a strong emphasis on community policing, the division actively engages with the community, fostering positive relationships and promoting a sense of trust and cooperation.

    The Patrol Division operates around the clock, 24/7, providing prompt response to emergency calls, conducting investigations, and enforcing local and state laws. They are trained to handle a variety of situations, ranging from traffic accidents and medical emergencies to responding to crimes in progress.

  • Detective Bureau

    (201) 266-6019
    The Detective Bureau contains several divisions including the Juvenile Bureau, Records Bureau, and the Community Policing / Crime Prevention Bureau’s.

    The Detective Bureau is responsible to investigate all crimes and offenses that occur within the Borough of Hasbrouck Heights. The Detective Bureau gathers intelligence on current crime trends in our area and passes this information along to patrol officers, citizens and local merchants so that precautions may be taken to avoid becoming a victim of these crimes.

  • Traffic Bureau

    (201) 288-1114
    The Traffic Bureau is staffed Monday – Friday during the hours of 7am – 3pm.. The Traffic Bureau investigate every motor vehicle accident that occurs within the Borough of Hasbrouck Heights.

    Pay Traffic Ticket 
  • Megan's Law Registry

    The New Jersey Megan’s Law Registry is a comprehensive database that provides public access to information about registered sex offenders in the state. It is named after Megan Kanka, a young girl who was tragically sexually assaulted and murdered by a convicted sex offender in 1994. The registry is designed to enhance public safety by allowing individuals to obtain information about offenders residing in their communities. It includes details such as the offender’s name, photograph, physical description, criminal history, and current address. The law requires convicted sex offenders to register with local law enforcement authorities, who then provide this information to the registry. Access to the registry helps citizens make informed decisions to protect themselves and their families.

    Check Sexual Offender Registry 

Public Information

Drug Test Policy: Click Here

Early Warning System Click Here

HHPD Recruitment Plan Click Here

  • Firearms Information

    New Jersey has required that ALL requests be made on the NJSP dedicated firearms website. This site will accommodate:

    • Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
    • Permit to purchase a Handgun
    • Change of Address on Identification Card
    • Change of Sex on Identification Card
    • Change of Name on Identification Card
    • Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (for duplicate or lost Identification Card)

    No paper applications will be accepted by our Department.
    Please follow the instructions listed to start the process.

    Download the instruction form

    ORI – NJ0022500

    Start The Process 


How Do I Get a Copy of a Police Report?

To obtain a copy of a traffic accident, you can visit HHPD Traffic Report portal. For any other Records requests, please contact our Records Bureau at (201) 288-6020 or records@hhpd.com

How do I dispose of unused or expired medicines?

The HHPD has a prescription disposal drop-off box located in the lobby at their Headquarters. This disposal box is open 365 days a year/ 24 hours a day.

For safety reasons, the Project Medicine Drop boxes can only accept solid medications such as pills, patches, inhalers, and similar objects.

The boxes cannot accept liquids, medical waste, or syringes. Consumers wishing to dispose of these objects should speak with their doctors or pharmacists to find the safest and best ways to dispose of them.

It should also be noted that consume​r​s m​ay only dispose of legal prescription or over-the-counter medications. Anyone wishing to dispose of any illicit drug, should follow the normal procedure of reporting it to the police.

How do I apply for a temporary Handicap Placard

To apply for a temporary handicap placard in New Jersey, contact the HHPD Traffic Bureau (201) 288-1114 or download the attached form and complete the necessary application form with supporting documentation.

How do I report a Streetlight Out?

To report a Streetlight, visit PSE&G Streetlight Out Report Portal.  This will log the issue with PSE&G directly. 

How do I file a late accident report or report a motor vehicle accident that occurred in the past?

If you need to file a late accident report in New Jersey, you should do so as soon as possible. Begin by obtaining a copy of the NJ Self Reporting Accident Report (Form SR-1) from your local police department or download the form below. Fill out the form accurately and include all necessary information, such as the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as the parties involved. If the accident resulted in injuries, death, or property damage exceeding $500, you must report it within ten days. Submit the completed form to thePolice Agency where the accident occurred.

My Vehicle was towed. How do I get my vehicle?

If your vehicle was involved in an accident and towed due to damages, contact Police Headquarters for information on the tow company.

If your vehicle was impounded, you must obtain a vehicle release form from our Police headquarters.

  • You must come to Police Headquarters with two valid licensed drivers
  • The owner of the vehicle MUST be present.
  • The vehicle must be properly registered and insured.

Am I allowed to park my vehicle on the street overnight?

Hasbrouck Heights does not allow parking on the street between the hours of 2am-6am.

In emergency situations, you may request permission to leave your vehicle on the street overnight. To request permission for overnight parking permission, go to Overnight Parking Permission

Requests are accepted between the hours of 6pm – 2am only.

How do I apply to become a Crossing Guard?

Are you passionate about the safety of children? Do you want to make a positive impact in your community? We’re looking for dedicated individuals to join our team as school crossing guards! As a crossing guard, you’ll play a crucial role in ensuring the safe passage of students to and from school. No experience is necessary – we provide comprehensive training to equip you with the skills needed. You’ll enjoy flexible hours, making it an ideal opportunity for retirees, stay-at-home parents, or anyone looking to contribute to their neighborhood. Join us in creating a safe and secure environment for our children. Apply now to become a school crossing guard!

How do I make changes on my Firearms ID card?

New Jersey has required that ALL requests be made on the NJSP dedicated firearms website. This site will accommodate:

  • Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
  • Permit to purchase a Handgun
  • Change of Address on Identification Card
  • Change of Sex on Identification Card
  • Change of Name on Identification Card
  • Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (for duplicate or lost Identification Card)

Forms And Procedures

Annual Internal Affairs Reports

Annual Major Discipline Reports